Canfor Red: A product launch disguised as a cool making exercise,
accented with flawless events across the globe, campaign extensions
and a video that will raise an eyebrow or two.
Creative Direction and Project Lead:
Event Planning and Management:
Video Concept Development:
Canfor Communications Team, Barbershop Films and Colin Poon
Project Details and Goal:
Driven by a need to differentiate between product lines, Red was created. A cutting edge decision in the lumber industry, coloured wrap is used in place of white. Building on Canfor's strong brand presence, domestically and across the globe, Red draws on the most visual element that sets Canfor apart from other lumber companies, colour.
Though the primary audience for this campaign was customers, the creative content strategically targets potential employees - re-aligning Canfor's target audience for human resources marketing toward a younger demographic, essentially, an exercise in "cool making". Though the lumber industry may have the reputation of an outdated field, the lumber industry has become strong, technologically advanced and sustainable, a secondary goal of some elements of this campaign were designed to highlight this for the younger generation.
The campaign included:
- red lumber wrap
- red "mermaid" video
- email marketing campaigns to customers
- customer red events in Vancouver, Japan, China and Prince George
- recruiting events in Prince George and Vancouver
As a campaign extension:
- Canfor VIPS wore red shoes, red ties and red lady bugs on their lapel
- custom red cocktails were commissioned from a mixologist and served at the event, along with take home cocktail cards for the guests.
- guests were given gifts of wooden cufflinks and wooden pendants to take home with them